Header image

Michael Wilkerson on Kony 2012

Posted by Moe Friday, March 09, 2012

Since my last post I've had many more thoughts (and a lot of tweets) on the Kony 2012 campaign that I've wanted to share here, but have been holding out for fear of sounding judgmental or overly critical. Over the past few days, I have read a lot of articles (and a lot of tweets) and heard a fair number of news reports that have done better to sum up the root of the issue and cover all the reasons why the Kony 2012 campaign is not the most helpful way to go about change.

I want to be clear that I am not "against" Invisible Children as an organization, nor do I think they are "bad" or "wrong". I simply think their documentary was poorly done from journalistic standards. Many who are critical of this campaign in the past few days have noted that IC is incredible at advocacy--the number of people who now suddenly know about the atrocities of Joseph Kony is unbelievable, and that's not a bad thing.

I've wanted to post a lot of articles here (but instead I've just retweeted a lot of tweets), but I think I've landed on the one that best sums up the reasons that many economists and aid professionals are taking issue with Kony 2012. Yesterday, Michael Wilkerson was on Talk of the Nation discussing the campaign, and today he released this article that I would like to share:

Kony 2012 Campaign: Oprah and Bracelets Won't Solve Problem



Coming up on moedidde.blogspot.com!!!


Before I began my studies related to African conflict & development, I worked in Christian youth ministry for several years.  I still have several friends who serve as youth pastors or ministers in one way or another, who have expressed that their youth are going nuts over Kony 2012, and are seeking ways to discuss the other side of the issue without just throwing a bucket of water on these kids' rightful passion. Over the next few days I'm going to compose a sort of youth group lesson for any of you to use or share in your ministry that will help youth to understand justice without having to "pick sides" on the issue, so to speak. I'll try to leave all my sassafrass comments about IC out of it. :) Stay tuned!

1 comments:

Valerie said...

Great idea Maureen. Thanks for all your work, study & thoughts...it makes a difference. Look forward to reading your thoughts, ideas, & suggestions about discussing this topic with youth. I will plan to forward it to my fellow high school teachers & summer program trip leaders.