Header image

My Music-To-Buy List as of February 2011

Posted by Moe Wednesday, February 02, 2011 Labels:

Lately I have had a renewed desire for new music, including artists who are new to me. I tend to get in a rut where I only listen to my existing music library and/or only purchase new music by the same artists I've been listening to for years. This is not a bad thing, however I do want to expand my repertoire every now and then.

Recently, I was assisting my friend Sara Swenson with some publicity for her own music, and through this activity discovered some great music blogs. After scrolling through a few bloggers' "Best of 2010" lists, I came up with a good list of albums for my to-buy list, including albums I was unaware of by artists I love as well as new artists I've not previously heard of. Here's my current list. I've put the artists who are completely new to me in italics, with the regular text representing new albums (or at least new to me) by artists I already know and love.
  • Laura Marling - I Speak Because I Can
  • Amos Lee - Mission Bell (downloaded this just yesterday and LOVE it. He has one of the most incredible voices out there, and he's playing Liberty Hall on Monday! Wanna go?)
  • Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me (my girl friends have loved her for years, and suddenly now I want to get in that!)
  • The Deadweather - Sea of Cowards
  • Antony & the Johnsons - Swanlights
  • Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
  • Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - Hawk
  • Junip - Fields (Jose Gonzalez sings for Junip)
  • Damien Jurado - Saint Bartlett
  • Jose Gonzalez - In Our Nature
  • Iron and Wine - Kiss Each Other Clean
  • St. Vincent - Actor
  • The Civil Wars - Barton Hallows (just heard about this one today, people are loving it)
  • REM - Collapse Into Now (released 3/8/2011--pre-release reviews say that this album is a return to the classic R.E.M. style, unlike their last few albums.)
  • KC Chinese Music Ensemble - Actually, they don't have an album but I really want some traditional Chinese music to remind me of my time in Hong Kong, so I'm hoping to find something like what they do. Saw this ensemble perform at the Chinese New Year Celebration at the Nelson-Atkins.
Here's a few of the blogs that I got these ideas from. Additionally, thanks to all my great friends with great taste in music who have also added to this list. Please leave comments and let me know what else I should check out!


Finally, here's a video of Amos Lee performing a song from his new album. So good! Please leave comments and let me know what else I should check out!




3 comments:

sonicleese said...

Hi Maureen... Saw your blog through JW feed. Hope you don't mind the random comment. I recognize a couple of the bands you listed as new and old to you on your list.... If you have the time, you should check out The National... especially their latest album "High Violet".

It's deep, woeful, delicate, dear, thoughtful and just plain rockin.... you may really like it... And if you were at JW a couple of weeks ago for 11a service, you may have heard them in the house music.... peace! Lisa G.

Maureen said...

Lisa, thanks for your comment! I actually acquired 'High Violet' last year so it wasn't on this list - and I totally agree with you about it! It is almost certainly one of my favorite albums of 2010. Did you know they're coming to town on April 20, opening for Arcade Fire at Starlight? I'm so going - can't wait!

sonicleese said...

Hi : ) I actually just found out last week that The National were opening for AF. What a beautiful show. I'm 99% certain I'll be going..... Would you believe that I've only heard ONE AF song?? Absorbing their stuff live for the first time will be a cool experience......!!