Header image

Frozen Entree Parade 2010

Posted by Maureen Wednesday, March 03, 2010 Labels: , , , ,

Some of you may recall Yogurt Parade 2008, an experience in yogurt-tasting to find which brands and flavors most suited me.  Well, in my unreasonable need to have a hot meal for lunch every day (cold sandwich?! Never!), I've been experimenting with frozen entrees.  A friend recently suggested that I should perform another parade as I did in 2008.  So here goes (Part I):

Amy's Organic Mac & Cheese - 4 stars
This is usual in the $3 range of Amy's products, which is quite inexpensive. And well worth it--I didn't know frozen cheese could become so tasty and smooth.  Truly, Amy's Organic Mac & Cheese is a "delicious family favorite"





Trader Joe's frozen Mac 'n Cheese - 4++ stars!
This frozen mac & cheese from Trader Joe's is better than most homemade macs I've ever had. It's UNBELIEVABLE.  In fact, don't even waste it on bringing it to work for lunch--save it for hosting a gourmet dinner party. It's ridiculous. Also very inexpensive. Finally, it's huge--I think 14 oz. or something, which is too much for me to eat in one meal, but kind of too small to eat only half. So I usually end up finishing it off and putting myself in a food coma. 

And how am I, a Kansas City resident, supposed to get something from Trader Joe's, you ask?  Check out KC Grocery Service--a local company who takes online orders and delivers TJs right here to KC. 

Okay, clearly I love mac and cheese.  On the days I forget lunch, I often go down to Price Chopper and get some from the hot deli.  That's always a quick, cheap hot lunch option too. Moving on.....


Michelina's Fettucine Alfredo - 1 star
BLECH! I forced myself to eat two bites and then probably went over to Price Chopper. Right? This stuff is worthless.  And here's the thing--I should have known by the price ($1-$2 range) that it couldn't possibly be good, but I had hopes. Never again.


Lean Cuisine Fiesta Grilled Chicken - 3.5 stars
Just had this one today and was surprisingly pleased.  Very tasty--nice flavor, and the chicken was probably the nicest I've seen in a frozen entree.  Rice is a good texture too, not too slimy.  Available at your local grocer!





Trader Joe's Garden Vegetable Lasagna-2.5 stars
I was disappointed in this one, coming from my favorite grocer.  It was a texture issue. It was basically noodles, some cheese, and green-colored ricotta.  I was expecting actual vegetables in the lasagna, but it was more like vegetable-flavored filling. Kind of grossed me out.




Okay that's all for now.....Part II to come in the future. As for now, I've got a freezer full of Amy's and TJ's mac and cheese! 

Would love to have your input on your favorite frozen entrees!

3 comments:

Kristin Whittington said...

Most of Kashi's entrees are really good, and Target has a new line out that they stock right next to Kashi, and they look really awesome. And, of course, I'm a big fan of Kashi blueberry waffles for every meal. :)

Toby said...

A shocking number of entries in this parade are of the cheese and pasta variety. Should we be surprised?

Maureen said...

Thanks, Kristin, I dont think I've had a Kashi one before.

Toby, I believe that every single one has at least either cheese or pasta (and preferably both). I plan to keep it that way.