Header image

A few months ago, I was privileged to receive an Advanced Readers' Copy of Her Fearful Symmetry from the publishing company, thanks to a blog post I wrote a few years ago on Niffenegger's previous novel, The Time Traveler's Wife. I absolutely adored "The Time Traveler's Wife" (although still have not seen the movie, not sure if I want to) and so was ecstatic to see that Niffenegger had produced another work of fiction.

"Her Fearful Symmetry" is equally captivating, but in a much different way. Many who loved "The Time Traveler's Wife" loved it for the depth of love and romance (plus a little science-fiction) that the story reflected. "Her Fearful Symmetry"--while the back of the cover summarizes that it is a story that shows love that lasts over time--is really a story of death and sin and the depravity of human nature (That's what I think, anyway). But it reveals this darkness in the most beautiful way as it tells the story of an aunt, her twin nieces, a historic cemetery, and a handful of other fascinating characters. This is a book that stuck with me--a story that, after completing it, I missed the characters like I miss a friend who just moved away. Weeks later, I still have moments of reminiscing about the story like a personal memory, until I snap out of it and remind myself that it was "just" a novel.

If that's not enough, I should say that I read the entirety of this novel on my honeymoon. While in California with the abundance of nature and adventure on all sides, my new husband would ask: "What do you want to do today, Maureen?" And I would sheepishly reply, ".....want to stay in and read books?".

"Her Fearful Symmetry" is a story that becomes a part of your life whilst providing shocking turns at every chapter. It's a must-read, both for men and women.

Check out Audrey Niffenegger's brief interview on NPR's "All Things Considered", as well as the New York Times book review.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I just finished "The Time Traveler's Wife" last week and was looking at this book on Amazon yesterday; I think I need to check it out now! Thanks for the recommendation!

Nathan Colgate said...

Sounds like our honeymoon. Except, instead of books, it was cereal boxes in spanish. You bookworms know how to have fun.