Header image

Movie time

Posted by Maureen Tuesday, August 18, 2009 Labels: , , , ,

Haven't been reading much lately, but sure have been watching a lot of movies. Here's my recent favorites:

Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Brilliant. I was dubious about this--not sure if it was just going to be all about sex or what. And it kind of was. But in a good way. :) The relationship triangles and rectangles and such in this film are quite phenomenal--I ended up loving every single character in very different ways, despite all their oddities and weaknesses. It is not a story of revenge or deceit, like it might seem. I recommend it. Plus, Penelope Cruz is just fantastic.

Gran Torino. Must see. Wow. Clint Eastwood grunts and growls a little bit more than necessary, but that is probably the only weakness in this film. Its the story of an old man who loses his wife, and estranged from his family ends up befriending a family of Hmong immigrants next door. Its absolutely phenomenal and tragic and heartwarming all at once. See it.

The Reader. Holy cow. Going into this film, I had absolutely no clue what it was about. Based on the previews, it seemed to be mostly about some weird sexual relationship between an older woman and much younger man. Turns out its not about that at all, really. It's set in post-WWII Germany and tells an incredibly powerful story of a woman and her life involving the war. Its a perspective I've never seen represented in film, history, museum, or anything of the like.

Doubt. Let's just say this one takes the cake as far as acting is concerned. My word. I found the story/plot fantastic, but it almost doesn't matter with acting this good. Yeesh. I'm not going to say much else, but I loved it. If you've seen it, let me know what you think about the ending--is he guilty or no? I think not.

Well there's some heavy movies for ya. I haven't really been into the comedies lately.

1 comments:

Sarah said...

Dang it! I though you were going to answer my question! I was wondering at the end of Doubt if he was guilty or not...'spose that's the point...doubt. Very good flick though, as was Gran Torino. Haven't had a chance to see the others though... thanks for the recomendations! :)