Header image

My favorite animals

Posted by Maureen Friday, July 31, 2009 Labels: , , , ,


Cheetah and Maureen, originally uploaded by maureen didde.

I recently changed my official personal favorite animal to the cheetah. My previous favorite animal was the tiger, and while its still a close call--I've been debating between the two for probably the past year--I recently decided that its just time to let the cheetah have its place at the top of my list. Now this may be due to the fact that in the past year I have both pet a cheetah and seen them in the wild (in Kenya-pictured at right). But I also have come to learn a few facts about the cheetah that have led to my new fascination. For example, it can go from 0mph-68mph in THREE SECONDS. Deeammn. It is so unique among the large cats that it has its own genus, Acinonyx. It cannot roar. It cannot climb trees. It lives a solitary life. The black stripes on either side of its nose act as sunshades. It purrs like a housecat. Nuff' said.

While the cheetah now holds the ultimate spot on my favorites list (with the tiger still claiming a close second place), I thought I'd share a few other categories of animal favorites. I'd like you to do the same, either in a comment or on your own blog.

Favorite North American Land Mammal: Fox (Toby told me I couldn't choose the domesticated house cat, but obviously my TRUE favorite is Lucinda).

Favorite bird: Snowy Owl

Favorite marine mammal: Otter

Favorite sea creature: Beluga whale

Favorite reptile: Gecko

Favorite primate: Lemur

Favorite Asian mammal (after the tiger, obviously): Red Panda

Top 5 Favorite East African Mammals: Cheetah, Giraffe, Leopard, Elephant, Hyena





Tell me if I'm missing an obvious category. Let's hear yours! And I don't want to hear "I don't have a favorite." Get one. Animals are awesome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I'm not allowed to choose the domesticated cat either, (otherwise kittens win!) then I'd say dolphins are pretty cool. Your post reminds me of a family that would take their kids to the zoo and they would shout to the animals, "Praise your maker!" The kids said, "You see animals do the coolest things when you say that." And of course, I have a video for everything.

~CGras


Why the fox is cool: http://videos.komando.com/2009/07/24/

Why giraffes are cool:
http://videos.komando.com/2009/07/16/birth-of-a-giraffe/

Maureen said...

Wow, that giraffe video is crazy! I had no idea newborn giraffes were so huge! thanks for the links, court!