Header image

Books, Movies, Music - Summer 2009

Posted by Maureen Tuesday, June 02, 2009 Labels: , ,

It's been too long since I blogged about some of my favorites of recent months. So here's a quick list of some of my recommendations:

Books:

Unaccustomed Earth, by Jhumpa Lahiri. This is a novel of short stories that share the life of Indian immigrants to the US, their struggles, their successes, their passions. I LOVED this book.

Sextants of Beijing, by Joanna Waley-Cohen. A nonfiction book that I'm using to study for my graduate exams, this one connects the events of Chinese history with its current status in the global economy and other areas. For those interested in China, this is a great read.

Now reading: The Life You Save May Be Your Own, by Paul Elie. This is a non-fiction book that covers the lives of Walker Percy, Dorothy Day, Thomas Merton, and Flannery O'Connor. It uses their common catholic faith to connect their lives and writing. It has come highly recommended by many friends and I'm looking forward to it.

Movies (okay, actually I blog about movies a lot. But here's some more recent ones I loved):

Seven Pounds
Starring Will Smith, this is the heart-wrenching story of a man who loses someone very important to him and redirects his life to making it right. It's totally unrealistic (all you people who criticize movies for being unrealistic--it's a MOVIE!), but in the most powerful way. Highly recommended.

Frost Nixon
Just watched this one last night and it blew my mind. VERY exciting. I kind of expected it to be slow and uneventful, but it was quite the opposite. And Frank Langella does an unbelievable job playing the role of Richard Nixon. Must-see.

Elegy
One of the more unique stories I've seen lately, Elegy has a barely-moving plot line, yet it keeps you totally focused the entire film. It's the story of an older man and much younger woman who fall in love and go through all the trials that their age difference would bring. It is very dramatic and the characters are captivating.

I'm looking forward to seeing the other big Oscar winners, as they come up on my Blockbuster queue, namely "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" and "Doubt".

Music:

I don't have much new stuff on them music front, I've been lagging on new music and mostly listening to the abundance which I already have. But I've enjoyed K'Naan quite a bit, the Somalian rapper. His first album, "Dusty Foot Philosopher" is incredible. I haven't heard as great review for his newest, "Troubadour" but I think I'll give it a listen anway. I've also been enjoying the Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack, and "A Thousand Shark's Teeth" by My Brightest Diamond.

2 comments:

sara said...

I can't wait for TLYSMBYO to arrive in the mail!

Maureen said...

Me too, Sara! I'm really looking forward to it..