Header image


Demolition, originally uploaded by maureen didde.

Warning: Amanda Loughlin, you may not want to read this post. :(

Yesterday I came home to a large working crew and several neighbors gathered on the street behind my house. I quickly learned that the house--On Brooklyn & Minnie--had been condemned just days before and the demolition crew had already arrived. The house is massive and beautiful--probably built at the turn of the century, like mine. But it had been long abandoned, and the few times I had glanced in the windows, it looked almost unrestorable. Nevertheless, the city had given several warnings to the owner to work on it, and he had done nothing. What's more, others had offered to buy it, but he wouldn't sell. What a waste.

Many of us here in the Northeast are upset the demolition began so quickly. Some members of our neighborhood committee would have hoped to do something to stop it had they had more time.

As I write this, I am watching the bulldozer out my bedroom window, slowly but surely knocking off bricks and tearing into walls. I'm not gonna lie--it's kind of cool to watch the process of a house getting torn down. But it's mostly tragic because of the history that that house held. I'm not sure how long it will take, but at the rate they're going it's going to be weeks worth of work.

I also stuck around last night to watch Betsy Webster from KCTV 5 do a live report for the 10:00 news. Here is the article from their website, and you should be able to watch the video of the report there, but for some reason it's not working for me.

I'll put more photos on my flickr as the week goes by.

2 comments:

Amanda Loughlin said...

Oops, I read it! Was that the house that they were supposedly turning into $500K condos? Oh my heart hurts!!!!!! Watch for an out-of-place, cheaply built, vinyl clad, apt complex to be built in its place. The [insert favorite descriptive expletive]. If I were there, I'd so be all up in their faces. So much for historic districts. http://www.kcmo.org/planning/landmarks/districts/pheights.pdf

rachel said...

sick! i loved that house!