Header image

My dear friend Laura, or "Saving Soweto"

Posted by Maureen Friday, February 13, 2009 Labels: , ,

Last month, I said a temporary farewell to three of my friends, all of whom have relocated to South Africa. Amy & Glenn, my 315 housemates for some time, have joined the Peace Corps and will be in SA for the next two years. They are blogging about it here (though it might be a while before they have regular internet access). Also, Laura Thomas, who is a med student at KU and is spending a month in Johannesburg on her hematology rotation. I'm so proud of her for doing this. I've had the pleasure of knowing Laura and her husband Jeremy for 9 years now (via the ol' days at YouthFront Camps).

Anyway, Laura is blogging often and I've found her stories and explanations to be quite profound. I've spent a good amount of time in various parts of Africa, including South Africa. I've been to Soweto, where the hospital she works at is located. However, to read about it from a medical perspective has blown my mind. Imagine how much more one would learn about a culture and the challenges of life in general through understanding medical issues and the physical ailments that people face (and what causes them). It's fascinating--her writings just over the past week totally overwhelmed me. You can keep up with Laura's adventure here. But what's more, she posted a link to a documentary called "Saving Soweto" that is about the very hospital where she works, Chris Hani Baragwanath (Bara) Hospital, which is evidently the largest hospital in the world! Check out this trailer:

0 comments: