Header image

Some books, some music

Posted by Maureen Monday, June 09, 2008 Labels: , , , , , ,

I haven't had any crazy dreams or new adventures to tell you about in the past week, so I thought I'd tell you about some books and music.

Books:
Eat, Pray, Love: This is a beautifully written Anne Lamott-ish novel by Elizabeth Gilbert. Gilbert creatively and historically describes a year of journeys spent in Italy, India, and Indonesia. At first I hesitated because it seemed like another feminist-finding-yourself story (not that there's anything wrong with that). But I pressed in and quickly began to enjoy it quite a lot. Highly recommended.

The Daydreamer: This is what I'm currently reading, by the author of my favorite ever novel, Ian McEwan. Its somewhere between a children's story and a light adult read, about a boy and his daydreamed adventures.

The Maytrees: This is next on my list after the above, by the brilliant creative nonfiction and novelist, Annie Dillard. I was attracted to it because its the story of a boy named Toby who falls in love with a pretty girl. Sound familiar? Ha. Oh, I also took interest in it because it was on sale. But that doesn't mean that others shouldn't read it too.

Music:
"Here I Stand", Usher: Its not often that I buy a hip-hop album, but about every 6 months I get the sudden urge. Last time it was Kanye West, this time its Usher. The man can sing. One of my favorites is "Best Thing" featuring Jay-Z.

"Hvarf - Heim", Sigur Ros: This has been out for a while, but their upcoming concert in KC this week reminds me to mention it. This album was the soundtrack to the beautiful film they released, and contains 6 never-before-released songs, as well as 6 live recordings. Its beautiful.

"með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust", Sigur Ros
: This one hasn't come out yet, but its worth noting while I'm talking about Sigur Ros. It will obviously be incredible. Surprised you didn't know that. It comes out June 23. The Icelandic can be translated as "with a buzz in our ears we play endlessly."

2 comments:

kimberly said...

AND, he can also dance. um, I kind of love usher.

7K said...

sigur ros is described as "perfect imperfection". Interesting. I like this stuff. There is an unusual singing going on, like bees ~ bees singing dirges. My goal in life is perfect imperfection, but I get it mixed up with imperfect perfection. I would also like to hear bats singing dirges. Actually, I do hear them sometimes...in my belfry.