Header image

Did I say 100 miles?

Posted by Maureen Sunday, May 18, 2008 Labels: ,

Pre-ride.

By 100, I meant 75.

Yesterday, I took off from Portland, Oregon on road bike with dearest friends Melissa, Dave, and Val. Our goal was to reach the coast--100 miles away. Expected time, about 8 hours.

Six and a half hours later, we had only gone 61 miles. Melissa and I were slowing down, but Dave and Val seemed to be only speeding up. So we sent them away to finish the race at their own pace, and Melissa and I trudged on. Slowly. During the next stretch, we were on a highway for about 7 miles with exhaust, incredible wind gusts, and blazing heat. If I had to define misery with a life experience, it might be those 7 miles. It was horrendous. The next 14-mile stretch took us an hour and 45 minutes, which is ridiculous. We were struggling. So we decided together that 75 miles would be quite an accomplishment for us, and so only went as far as the next rest stop. From that point on--with Val and Dave still out there climbing a mountain--we had the best time that we'd had all day! No regrets, only pure relief and joy that we were finished with this feat.

Our "sag" ride to the finish line was possibly the best part of the entire day. We were picked up by a support van that took riders who opted out early to the beach. Our drivers were Rick & Bob, 60-something year old men who had been friends since Kindergarten, and volunteer for the ride every year. They were a hoot. At one point, the water jugs in the back of our rescue van (which we were taking to the next rest stop) tipped over and I gallantly threw myself over the back of the seat to upright them and save the day. It took my last bit of energy, and was almost just as much of a feat as riding 75 miles. Ha. We got to drive by all the finishing riders, cheer them on, celebrate their accomplishment, and reassure our decision to not have attempted climbing the mountain.

All in all, I'm not sure if I'm glad I did it, but nonetheless, Melissa and I are both proud of ourselves for riding our bikes 75 miles over the course of 8 hours and crossing our own version of the finish line, with a strong high-five. If I every say I'm going to do it again, someone please bring me to my senses.

On the road.

The back of the van that rescued us from imminent death, and where I saved us from flooding in 40 gallons of water (and consequently saved cyclists from not having any water at the next rest stop! Heroine!).

At the finish line (25 miles after my personal finish line). Nevertheless, it was still pretty cool to end up at the ocean, even if we only got there by van.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm so proud of you, Maux! 75 miles is a loooong way. You rock my bike helmet off.

Amber said...

dude. you rock. vernon and i were very anxious to see how the day turned out! he was really wishing he was there with yall!
hey shoot me an email soon...we were wondering if your church would be interested in partnering up with us on some stuff in Sudan...

Michelle Bridges said...

you know, miles are just a measurement people made up. We could take how far you rode and create a different system of measurement and poof! you rode 100 of them. Bang. Also, like those other people said, you rock.

josh said...

75 miles = 120 kilometers...

Maureen said...

Great idea, guys! I biked 120 kilometers this weekend. Take that!

Amanda in Kentucky said...

i'm fairly certain that's about 74 more miles than i could have gone...i'm proud of you!

rachel said...

you are incredible.
maux did(de) it.