Header image

World War I Museum at Liberty Memorial

Posted by Maureen Sunday, February 24, 2008

Over the weekend, I made a visit to the National World War I Museum here in Kansas City with my mom and dad. It was VERY impressive. Little did I know that it is only one of two WWI museums in the world, and the only in the U.S.

The moment I entered, I suddenly was struck with the realization that I knew little to very little about this war. I know a fair amount of other major wars since then, such as WWII and Vietnam, but this one was a mystery to me. Consequently, I was ever more baffled by much of what I learned. Here are a few snapshots.

Above is a photo of a small portion of the timeline, which displayed the happenings related to the war, as well as other things going on in the world meanwhile, including specific events in Kansas City, which really brought it home.*

Below is a graphic of the chain reaction that led to a few conflicts becoming truly a world war. You probably can't read it well, but you can get the idea of the haywire domino effect that occurred.


And I just thought this one was kind of funny:


*Over the past few years, I have developed a profound fascination with timelines, namely ones which are on large display. Two of my favorites were at the Massive Change exhibit and the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit. But that's a whole 'nother post's worth of information, so I'll leave it for later.

1 comments:

@ said...

I would've enlisted in a hearbeat if I saw a sign that said "You great big handsome Marine".