Header image

Kung Hei Fat Choi!

Posted by Maureen Saturday, February 09, 2008

Happy Chinese New Year! Happy Year of the Rat!

This time of year really makes me miss Hong Kong. Chinese New Year brings a full week of vacation and two weeks of non-stop celebrations, such as lion and dragon dances, the Lantern Festival, one of the best fireworks displays in the world, and a crazy long parade. Also, if you're lucky then someone will give you a red packet with a few HKDs in it. I lived in Hong Kong for two Chinese New Years of the past--the year of the Sheep and the year of the Chicken, which makes for a fun New Year parade, because half of the paraders are dressed up as the year's respective animal. (Seems like this years parade would be a little creepy with all those rats.)

Lion dance at the CNY parade in Hong Kong.

Red packets for sale! This is a common tradition where one puts money in the packet and gives it to someone younger than them. Spread the wealth.

Unfortunately, all of my best CNY photos from my time in Hong Kong were before my personal digital age, so these are a few stock photos of images I'm quite familiar with.

0 comments: