Header image

The Time Traveler's Wife

Posted by Maureen Monday, January 21, 2008

Today I finished a novel recommended to me by Toby, and also Hannah. The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger. I suppose I can sum up my level of interest in it by saying--it is about 500 pages long, and I powered through the entire second half of it just today. It is a page-turner, to say the least.

Over the past few years, I have read a handful or two of modern novels, and to be sure this one has gained a spot among my top handful, alongside Saturday, What is the What, The God of Small Things, and The Pilgrimage.

This novel is a powerful mixture of poetry, romance, journalistic observation, and all with a foundation of modern day science fiction. What is so baffling about this story is that for a good portion of it, the reader knows what is going to happen next, or ultimately. Nevertheless, it can't be put down.

When I wake up tomorrow morning, I think I will be sad that my days of experiencing life with Henry & Clare, the main characters, are over. I'll have to find some new fictional characters to hang out with (but I'm afraid instead I'll find only academics and college professors--oof).

5 comments:

Andy Woolard said...

I keep finding reasons to love Toby. This is another. The TTW is one of my favorite novels in recent memory. Man...now I want to read it again.

Sarah said...

Yep. I read that a few years ago. I believe it's listed on my blog... or was, as a favorite. Right now I'm reading The Faith Club.... very interesting. You should look it up.

matthias said...

maureen!!! mark this as my first comment on your blog to date. i actually haven't read this yet, but am planning to in the next couple of weeks as i have a class with Audrey starting in February. The course is based in creative writing and leans toward performance. i've heard incredible things about the book of course and the class and i can't wait. I met her this last summer and have since run into her a few times and she is pretty wonderful. i'll let you know how it goes. oh yeah - and i LOVE YOU!!!

Hannah said...

Hi!

I work for Regal Literary, the literary agency that represents Audrey Niffenegger. We noticed your interest in Audrey Niffenegger and THE TIME TRAVELER’S WIFE and want you to know we’re giving away Advance Reader’s Copies of HER FEARFUL SYMMETRY now to bloggers who have written about Audrey’s work. To get yours, click below or you can contact me directly at hfs@regal-literary.com with your mailing address.

http://tinyurl.com/facebookhfs

Look forward to hearing from you,
Hannah

Matthew said...

To follow up on Hannah's post,

My name is Matt from Regal Literary, Audrey's literary agency.

Readers of this blog might be interested in knowing that Regal is giving away ten advanced reader’s copies and three first edition hardcovers of the new Audrey Niffenegger book, Her Fearful Symmetry, on October 1st in a lottery to anyone who joins the facebook page as a fan and sends an e-mail to hfs@regal-literary.com. Good luck!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Her-Fearful-Symmetry/68080996784