Header image

Get on the horse and ride! or "The Return of Waterdeep."

Posted by Maureen Saturday, January 05, 2008

Tonight I attended the CD release concert for Waterdeep's new album, Heart Attack Time Machine: "Don and Lori are writing songs and singing them together in the studio on this album. This is the first album since Everyone’s Beautiful (1999) that’s not a live album, or a solo album, or a worship album. Don and Lori played and sang everything on here, just the two of them. And it’s all acoustic but it’s not afraid to bust a move. (from waterdeep.com)"

Tonight, as far as I know, was their first official Waterdeep show since their "last" concert at the New Earth several years ago--very exciting.
While I'm a bit biased because I'm a KC local fan who's been listening to them since I was 16, as well as a fellow JWer, I'm still going to make a bold statement: This was the best show I've seen in months. If you've followed this blog at all, you may know that I've seen a lot of concerts and some fairly big names in the past year. But these two nice folks on a church stage with some guitars, a harmonica, killer voices, and great senses of humor topped them all.

One of my favorites was Lori's cover of "Two Gunslingers" by Tom Petty. That girl can sing, and she really showed it on this song. Also "Both of Us'll Feel the Blast" and "18 Bulletholes" which have both been long-time favorites of mine. Not to mention Don's comment, "Get on the horse and ride!" when he was having trouble starting a song correctly. Also his telling of the epic Khrusty Brothers saga. I can't wait to see more of those guys (they have some live shows coming up.)

You can download the album from their website or buy a hard copy. My favorite tunes from this one are "Northern" and "I Can't Sleep." Enjoy!

2 comments:

Andy said...

I wish I could have been there...I will have to catch their next show in town for shizzle.

Jeanette said...

Moe, I was sick I had to miss this one. Waterdeep introduced me to "artistic presence" in a way that has effected my evaluation of every subsequent live-music-event. Which, I guess, is only to say they were the first to invite me to engage--to think and laugh and (silently--so as not to look like an idiot) enter into the conversation or even disagree ... (as opposed to just watching a show). Besides, they're just very cool folk. Glad you had a great time. Even "gladder" they're back at it (at least for an eve).