Header image

African Thanksgiving

Posted by Maureen Saturday, November 24, 2007

Photo by Toby.

Toby & I took our Burundian refugee friends to Leavenworth to my parents' house for Thanksgiving this year. We listened to some traditional Burundian tunes in the van on the way (all nine of us in a seven-passenger van). The African kids played well with the American kids, Toby translated a lot of Swahili, and my dad took Dismas the 12-year old and Elias the dad on a cold Harley ride. And the little ones at least got to sit stationary on the Harley while he revved it up.

I am thankful for my family, so inviting and compassionate in making our African friends feel at home.
I am thankful for Toby, so steadfast in translating and kid-watching.
I am thankful for the opportunity to see two of the worlds that are so dear to me--family and Africa--collide.
I am thankful that I am not a refugee and never will be in a situation like what these sweet African people have gone through.
and much more. . .

Some photos are posted here and here.

Happy Thanksgiving.

4 comments:

Amber said...

i love it! what a great thanksgiving! miss you friend!

Andy said...

I freaking love every part of this post. That picture is priceless!

Andy Woolard said...

I don't know who the other and is, but this post just made me smile. Kudos to you and your family. And to Toblerone.

toby said...

Mr. Didde gets my vote for amateur ambassador of the year.