Header image

I officiated a wedding on a yacht. Yes, you heard me right.

Posted by Maureen Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Blog parade! Round three.

Adam, Brooke, and I at Newport Beach the day before the wedding.

Last weekend, the final bachelor of my mother’s five siblings, Tom, got married to a wonderful woman who I have long considered my aunt, Marianne. These two are the ones who take me to things like Bon Jovi concerts and Anaheim Ducks NHL games. After being together for nine years and engaged for two, the time had finally come. They booked the largest and fanciest of Newport Beach’s Wedding Yachts, invited all the friends and family, and asked me to perform the ceremony. (Your next question is “What?! Are you ordained?” and my answer is “Yes I am, if you want to know how and why, you’ll have to ask me personally.”)My gorgeous grandmother (mother of the groom) and I, preparing to board the Wedding Yacht.

The entire event was a joy and I was deeply honored and humbled to perform the wedding. At about 6:30pm, our yacht pulled out from the harbor, and I led them through the ceremony as the sun set behind us. I was only slightly nervous, but proud to be a part of their big day in that way. It was certainly a new experience, and brought a lot of joy to see their faces before me as they became husband and wife.

Okay, enough mushiness. Next it was time to party. Spent some time catching up with aunts, uncles, and cousins, then hit the dance floor with Adam and Brooke, (my brother and sister-in-law) and my mom and dad. My 10 year old cousin Sam did the worm about 20 times over the course of the evening, my mom went nuts when they played “Love Shack,” and my dad requested “Jammin’” by Bob Marley, at which point most people cleared the dance floor except our immediate family who loves us some Bob Marley. Adam commented that the high volume music on the dance floor was “only half as loud as when we would be sent to bed to leave Mom & Dad partying in the living room” as kids. Ha.

What a great family. Here’s a few photos from the weekend, for those of you who are into other people’s family pictures. It was quite the joyous occasion and I look forward to the next Oliver family gathering.
Myself and my cousin Carly, the flower girl, aboard the Wedding Yacht.

Adam and Brooke have some really great photos from the weekend up on their flickr site if you'd like to see more.

(I'll get mine up on my flickr once I get home from Portland.) Cheers!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a gorgeous wedding and you did a great job officiating. You should post the picture of you and Carly before the wedding looking at all of us. That was simply "Marvelous". Love you
Aunt Katy

Lou said...

yep, you were the bomb, preacher!

toby said...

Could this be a new career path?

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you were in LA last week and I didn't get to see you.

Maureen said...

aunt katy--I put the pic up of Carly & I!

mom--thanks!

toby--No. :) heh heh.

anonymous #2--I apologize for not calling you, however I don't know who you are. So I'll be happy to call and say hello if you give me your name. ;)

Anonymous said...

And after all the mission trips we've been on together... Okay, maybe just one now that I think of it. Was it Poland? Or Jamaica?