Header image

Answer me this

Posted by Maureen Friday, August 03, 2007

Tonight I was enjoying Kansas City's First Friday with some lovely friends, who led me to Christopher Elbow's Chocolatier. As usual, I found myself in awe of the intricate and tasty truffles, but was mostly impressed with the water faucet in the shop's restroom. It's just like the one pictured here, except in the darkness of the room, the blue LED glow lights up the whole room. And it looks awesome. Freaking awesome. But here's the deal--the water runs constantly. You can't turn it on or off as needed. So my question for Mr. Chris Elbow is, "Are you just constantly running/wasting water or do you have some sort of internal water recycling system?"

If you are Mr. Elbow or happen to know the answer to my inquiry, please leave your response.

Secondly, answer me this. Do you think it is possible, years down the road from now, that our bodies might show some side effects of having endured so many electronic waves over the years? Now that wireless internet is nearly unavoidable, not to mention cell phone waves and who-knows-what-other-kind-of-waves, we're constantly being penetrated by unnatural energies. This came up in conversation tonight regarding a topic on today's edition of NPR's Science Friday. They were discussing the potential invention of wireless cell phone chargers. (Which would be sweet considering my Motorola Razor no longer holds a charge longer than 8 hours, but that's an entirely different post topic. Aiyaa! Ho mah fahn!) Nonetheless, do you think all these foreign energy waves running through us all the time could ever be harmful?

Finally, I bought Ryan Adams tickets today. I've been slightly, just slightly obsessed with his music for some time now, but this will be my first live show. "The Lar-Dawg" shared this little treasure with me, also from NPR. Love it.

Currently listening: Ryan Adams, Live in Kingston, NY, May 2007
Currently reading: The World is Flat, Thomas Friedman

8 comments:

Jesse said...

For years I've wondered about the effects of radio waves and all the other waves our bodies are constantly being bombarded with. I'll have to listen to that NPR segment (I can't believe I missed it!)

Amy said...

I don't think that the faucet at Chris Elbow is supposed to run all of the time, I've seen it a couple times now and have never seen it running non-stop, I forget how, but I think there's an unmarked off button.

Maureen said...

wow! thanks, amy! that's really good to know, I'll keep my eyes peeled for that button.

::Andrew:: said...

Oooh, I wish I could see Mr. Adams at The Uptown. You are a lucky girl.

I don't have scientific proof to back this up, but I guarantee that the waves coming from the computer monitor, in front of which I sit all day long, have made me stupid.

Doc Bombay said...

Yeah, this is Chris Elbow. My faucet is supposed to be running all the time. You see, I'm REALLY artsy, and if my blue water weren't running all the time, the faucet would look something like a bookshelf bracket with a light in it. So as I do like to "conserve water" and "save the rain forest, whales, and the ozone," it can all burn in the same fire...'cause blue water is sweet. It did have an off button, but I hired Dave Knees & Toes to destroy it. Thanks for your concern, but blue water is art. Like it. Also Dave and I are both MADE of radio waves.

the {{screaming *penguin}} said...

I love those simple things that make us so happy...

toby said...

I've wondered about electromagnetic radiation for years. I think it started when my mother forbid electric blankets on the grounds that they cause cancer. I still cringe inside when someone mentions one more device going wireless.

Condor said...

If by "rediculous" you mean "awesome", then yes. I think you'll learn the incredible potential of what we've got going in the way of working out when the robots take over, and everyone is forced into Robotic slavery. What then? I'll tell you what - John and I, with barbaric ferocity, and wearing animal pelts, will come down from the mountains, defeat the robots, and save the day. Mark my words.... Save the day.