Header image

GOOD Magazine

Posted by Maureen Wednesday, August 15, 2007

My friend Andy introduced me to my new favorite magazine, GOOD. From the cover: "GOOD is for people who give a damn. It's an entertaining magazine about things that matter." I'm hooked on this mag! Here's my favorite things that I learned from the most recent issue, which happens to be their first anniversary issue.

1. There's a weed known as Thales Cress that has been genetically modified (by a biotech company in Copenhagen) to detect land mines. In the presence of explosives, its leaves will turn from green to red. That is ca-razy! And I thought land mine detecting elephants were insane (props to NJ)!

2. There are only three countries on the globe that do not use the metric system: Liberia, Myanmar, and the United States.

3. The length of the Israeli Gaza Strip and West Bank Barriers are equal to approximately 19,726,080 falafel (or 467 miles, but who's counting miles?).

4. New York City has zero public toilets. Beijing has 4,700. (I believe that. In China, I never once had to sneak into a restaurant to use the bathroom--there are public ones everywhere. Granted, "toilet" may or may not mean what we would consider a toilet. But hey, you take what you can get. "When in Rome..." Ha.) I'd also like to add that, when in Rome, Beijing, or anywhere else that uses the metric system, one should be careful to not confuse a sign that says "To Let" for "Toilet."


5. R. Buckminster Fuller created the idea of a dome as a building structure (Hence, "Spaceship Earth", the iconic structure of Epcot Center.) He also patented the Dymaxion World Map, which was the first to show the planet in an undistorted and proportionate fashion.

6. While on their two-year mission, Mormon missionaries can only call home on Christmas and Mother's Day.

7. The internationally known Peace symbol was originally based on the semaphore signals for "N" and "D", for "nuclear disarmament."

Well that was fun. The best part about GOOD, other than the incredible content, is that 100% of the subscription costs go to the Non-Profit organization or your choice! I chose Millenium Promise. Happy subscribing!

4 comments:

toby said...

Just don't even get me started on how much better the metric system is. I'd like to point out that Great Britain, our former oppressors, have abandoned the standard units. We are still using them. Just...just don't get me started.

mishl said...

i'd like to remind you of my dear sister Melissa's greatest idea ever... Metric Time.

Maureen said...

Oh yeah-Melissa has really good invention ideas. The latest I heard about was some strange space gloves for a NASA invention competition (Toby, you'll be pleased to hear that. . ha..)

toby said...

I used to be excited by the idea of metric time, but you just can't get around the 365 days per year.