Header image

Two (of many) Important Things I Take For Granted

Posted by Maureen Friday, July 20, 2007

Having grown up in the country and spent my college years in small town Missouri, I often take wide open spaces for granted. Nature. Blue skies. Endless clear stars. For me, the lights of the city overwhelm it all and I shrug my shoulders and cruise down the freeway.

But tonight I was reminded that God is still incredible through His physical, natural creation while I was at the Altar Field at camp. That no matter how many times I've heard the song, "God of Wonders," it still holds true and He still makes Himself known through stars and fields and mountains and seas.

I also take Jesus for granted (didn't see that one coming, did ya?). This past week I have had the privilege of serving as the camp speaker at YouthFront (where I work) Camp South. I've spoken to 250 teenagers every night of the past week, and tonight was the big finish. I stood on an outdoor stage (hence the nature revelation) and described the night that Jesus prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane, "Not my will, Father, but Yours be done." As I proceeded to detail the events that followed in Jesus' death, I found myself becoming short of breath. It felt like years since I'd thought deeply about this part of Jesus and it was moving me to the core.

Before I walked on that stage, I had hardly prepared what I would say--a nonchalant thought to "talk about the crucifixion" and finish the week off. May I never take it so lightly.

4 comments:

Andy & Alli said...

I was praying for you this week...my heart was happy to read this post. Wish I could have been there!

Lou said...

amen! Thanks for sharing those insights - it is so true that we take these things for granted so much, and your experience is an eye opener to all of us. I loved knowing about it.

Doc Bombay said...

Ahh, I'm glad it went well out there, girlee!! I'm sure you did a great job--since you've got it like that. And the children's books...well, it'll be better if I show you, but I think God thinks He's funny.

Sarah said...

Mom said you did great! Someday, I hope to come see you speak at camp... Someday when I'm not way over here.. :)