Header image

Project Runway! Music! Books! Summer!

Posted by Maureen Saturday, May 05, 2007

Last night I experienced my third modeling endeavor at Belle Epoque for First Friday. The theme was "Project Runway." Rusty and Jamie were my designers among two other pairs. Each team chose from a pile of random strips of fabric, had to design a dress with nothing but needle and thread, then create a hair and makeup look to match it. They were so creative and we had a great time.

There was also quite a crowd at Habitat Shoes where they have some really amazing, quality, economical clothes. I heard John, the owner, went 47-2 on a "beat the boss" ping-pong tournament. Fashion modeling and ping-pong on a Friday night--it doesn't get much better than that.

In other news, Feist's new album "The Reminder" came out this week. I love her voice. I've been listening a lot to her album "Open Season: Remixes and Collabs" which has some really innovative remixes of tracks from "Let it Die." I also discovered an album called "Plague Songs" that was made for a film called "The Margate Exodus" about the biblical story of Exodus. The album features some pretty incredible musicians who were each asked to write a song inspired by one of the biblical plagues. One of the tracks is by Imogen Heap, which is what initially got my attention.

I finished "Chasing Francis" by Ian Morgan Cron, which I mentioned a few posts ago. It's the kind of book that made me sad when I finished reading it, simply because I was so much enjoying being in the story. Ian Cron is going to be teaching and speaking at The Altar, a contemplative weekend retreat that I coordinate at YouthFront. He's brilliant--definitely give it a read. Now I'm reading "The God of Small Things" by Arundhati Roy with my "bookies" (book club) and thinking about picking up "And the Band Played On" again, which I've been on a break from.

4 comments:

andyyyyyyyy said...

incredible hair! that is awesome...you need to give us a heads up next time, that'd be fun to see. As for Francis...I'm currently chasing and I am loving it. I imagine I'll have the same sentiment when I'm done. Can't wait to meet Ian.

Michelle said...

Moe. c'mon. you know how i feel about habitat, especially those blue shoes (still swooning), but can we really say that it's 'economical'? even if i was a ping pong queen, not so much. other than that, cheers.

Maureen said...

hey punk, i didn't say "affordable". I mean economical as in quality items made in quality circumstances. :) other than that, cheers. ;)

Sarah said...

You look beautiful! So sorry I missed it.