Header image

"Education is the key"

Posted by Maureen Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Today I had the most enlightening conversation with my friend Vernon, who is married to Amber, who has been one of the most influential people in my life over the past seven years. Whoa. After I take some time to think through much of what we discussed, I'll write more. In the meantime, he led me to personal crossroads regarding what I am passionate about, why I am passionate about it, and how I am enacting said passion. Seems simple enough, but I've got a lot to process. . .

He & Amber have started an school/orphanage or three in Southern Sudan, and as we spoke about the circumstances there, I was reminded that beyond all amount of lobbying and funding for extreme poverty, that a change of hearts and souls is the only way past the corruption and deceit.Here's Amber & Vernon's three year old son, Titus, running along with his "best friend" Albert in Sudan. This past winter, Titus made his first trip to Africa with the family and finally met Albert, with whom he'd been pen pals of sorts (more like toy pals...Vernon would take gifts back and forth that the little boys would send to each other) all his life.

Along those lines, I was relieved to read this article about Bono pushing US Lawmakers to advance education in developing countries. Without it, little could ever change.

*Edit* Wednesday, May 2:
I need to go back to Hong Kong immediately.

Currently listening: Nathan Cook, Wake the Hero.

3 comments:

aaron said...

I'm there with you Moe. For me it started with caring only spiritual about said people. It pendulum swung from there to caring only about funding and physical needs, awareness that sort of thing. I'm finding myself these days creeping itowards the middle again. Realizing that change only happens when truth is introduced into someones life and they grab it and believe it. This compels them to many different changes.

In the same way, if truth is in our lives we will be compelled for both spiritual and physical helping.

amberburger said...

words could never say how wonderful it was to have you in our home. you are dearly loved by us.

lovetruth said...

Hey Sista!
I was reading in Luke 11 today and Jesus summed up, in a rebuke to the Pharisees, the conversation we had.

In v. 40-42 Jesus said, "You fools! Did not he who made the outside make the inside also? But give as alms those things that are within, and behold, EVERYTHING IS CLEAN FOR YOU. But woe to you Pharisees! For you tithe mint an rue and every herb, and neglect justice and the love of God. THESE YOU OUGHT TO HAVE DONE WITHOUT NEGLECTING THE OTHERS."

Thanks so much for the conversation and your presence in our house. Amber and I love you a ton.