Header image

That's what I'm talkin' about!

Posted by Maureen Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Recently, my colleague Ray Zuercher informed me about this--honey bees dying off because they follow cell phone signals instead of the natural signals that show them their way. That's crazy! It's fascinating how many things in the world depend on bees. Since the weather froze on us a week or so ago, I've heard so many stories about farmers of all sorts having lost their crops because of it. What's more is so many (berries for example) are not because the plants froze, but because the bees froze! If there's no bees to pollinate the plants, then the plants won't bloom. That is unfortunate, because I do love me some summer blackberries.

Today I am also fascinated with dental technology. This morning I went to my dentist to get a partial crown on one of my teeth that was randomly decaying. Gross. Last week when I went in for a cleaning, I was amazed by the efficiency and digital experience of it all. Most of you are probably thinking "duh..welcome to the 21st century, Moe." But it's been four years since my last stateside dental visit, and a lot has changed since then. The fact that they took pictures of my teeth to show me before and after shots amazed me! The coolest part today was when they created the crown for my tooth in about 15 minutes and showed me sweet 3D images of the process. Here's a picture of the machine they use to do it.

The best part about it was that, after putting the final touches on my new tooth, my dentist set down her tools, stood up, and proclaimed, "That's what I'm talkin' about!" and left the room without another word. Incredible. That's the kind of dentist I can appreciate.

10 comments:

Andy Woolard said...

hence the grill?

Jane said...

Hey Moe

Could you please shoot me an email with your Dentist contact info.

I a have similar issue that needs to be addressed.

schfjes@aol.com

Thanks, Jane

Maureen said...

Jane,
the link to my dentist office is in the blog post, top of the 2nd paragraph. Enjoy, they're really nice!

As for you, Woolard, you think you're so funny. . :)

amberburger said...

moe! so today i read an article i would love to hear your honest feed back. Many of the things the guy says (although not exactly tacktful) are alot of thoughts i have had, haveing been in Sudan and come back to see people saying, buy Armani or Gap and it will help the poor...any how...i would LOVE for you to read this link and let me know your thoughts...you rock and i miss you dearly. I will be flying into KC may 15 and out of KC may 19 so lets make a plan! love you!
(i have blogger now so you can either email me or write it as a comment!)

amberburger said...

oops totally forgot to link it. here it is
http://www.firstthings.com/onthesquare/?p=662

Maureen said...

Amber, this is a conversation that I've had with several friends recently on both sides of the subject, a perplexing question for sure. I'll email my thoughts to ya...

Jane said...

Thank You!! - Jane

BJ said...

The bee thing is incorrect. Bee researches have said this repeatedly. See this article. It says, "Many researchers, including Spivak, widely dismissed a report that cell phone towers and radio waves may be to blame for the bee's disappearance. The theory has percolated throughout the Internet, despite repeated denunciations by bee researchers."

Maureen said...

wow. that's a relief..thanks bj!

a.g. said...

bj just straight up punked you fool!