Header image

Land Reclamation of Victoria Harbour

Posted by Maureen Friday, November 10, 2006

In Hong Kong there is a small harbour, Victoria Harbour, that separates the part of the country attached to the Mainland, Kowloon, from the small island known as "Hong Kong Island". Every once in a while, they decide that they need more space to build some skyscrapers, but they don't have any more land--so they fill in part of the harbour with land in order to build where there was once water. It's quite a controversy there, and pretty sad to watch the harbour cut down in size over years.
Photo 1: Victoria Harbour in the 1940s
Photo 2: Victoria Harbour in 2005 (see that really tall building right in the center? That's IFC2 Tower, which was not there when I resided in HK in early 2003. By the time I came back late 2004, it was completely constructed, land reclamation and all.)
Photo 3: The golden clock tower in this photo is about to be demolished in order to reclaim the surrounding harbour area.

Read the full story here.

2 comments:

moesMom said...

thanks for putting this up - I found it interesting and it is amazing that they can tear down those great landmarks like that, for more financially lucrative buildings. too bad, but I'm glad I got to see it before it went down!

Anonymous said...

Just Thought I'd Say Hi!!!!


I made an extra $2000 a Month Using this site!!