Header image

Babel

Posted by Maureen Thursday, November 16, 2006

I saw a film last night called "Babel"--a story of tragedy set off by a series of events taking place from San Diego to Morocco to Tokyo. It is the sort of film that sticks with you--I've been thinking about it all day, but can't really say why.
I don't know that I connect with what the proposed theme of the film is--this idea of listening to one another and communicating amidst all the barriers that cause us to misunderstand one another. I like that idea, but it is not what I saw in this film. I saw a lot of prejudice--prejudice that occurred within cultures instead of between different races or ethnicities. There was degradation by speaking persons towards the deaf, by Hispanic authorities towards Hispanic commuters, by Moroccan police towards Moroccan villagers. It reminded me of "Crash" in some ways.
Not to mention, the plotline was absolutely heart-wrenchingly, hand-wringingly exhausting in the anxiety it caused.
Still, I am glad that I saw it, but not sure that I liked it. Let me know what you think if you've seen it, or if you will after this review. (At the least, you can't go wrong with Brad Pitt & Cate Blanchett, among other brilliant actors in the film.)

0 comments: