Header image

I COULD HAVE TOUCHED HIM

Posted by Maureen Friday, December 16, 2005


Wednesday night I saw U2 live for my first time. Had nose bleed seats. It was AMAZING. Got a call from the ONE Campaign people in Omaha, they needed some more volunteers for the show in Omaha Thursday night. Sarah Mueller and I went. We had about 10 volunteers, who each got about 150 signatures on the ONE Declaration (www.one.org) over the course of the evening. For our services, we had passes to watch the U2 show from the floor!!!!!!! While waiting for the show to start, we were approached by a crew member who gave us wristbands to get inside the "ellipse" which is the closest anyone in the arena could be to the band--inside a circular stage. . . . .I'm speechless. This photograph (tho not taken by me) is a pretty good representation of how close we were to the B-man. NOT KIDDING. I could have unbuckled his shoes if the security guard wasn't standing there. I could see how knappy his hair is. I could count the stitches in his jeans. And Sarah and I are pretty sure both he and Adam Clayton made eye contact with us (after all, we were sporting our ONE t-shirts on their behalf!).
I think I better wait a few days, and then write again about the actual show. Right now, I cannot believe that happened. That.....was........AWESOME. (*sigh*....remember to breathe).

7 comments:

aaron mitchum said...

lovin' it!

Anonymous said...

Everyone should see U2 at least once in their lifetime. Someday, being able to say "I saw U2 live" will be just as cool as being able to say "I got to see the Beatles."
And how about this for a deep discussion...What kind of man would Jesus be today. How would he reach the masses? Might he see the value in celebrity for the right reasons? Might he teach with music that would reach an international audience? Might he be very much like Bono? Stick that in your pipe and smoke it for a few hours! Uncle T

josh said...

FREAKING AMAZING!!!!

nick pick said...

haha! incredible! i'm so proud of you, moe.

Eric Venable said...

Dude... great BUT i had that exact same experience when i was college. in 1983!!!!! hello!!! glad you came to the table.... 22 years later.

glad you are working the both for the one campain.... you ROCK!

Mike said...

Welcome to the "Up Close" Club, Moe. I was inside the heart at U2's Elevation Tour in New York one month after 9-11. You are now in the Club, although, historically I still think I have you beat - New York after 9-11 verses Omaha after the Iraq Election. Still you are now one of the Enlightened, HA!

Maureen said...

Mike,
Thanks for letting me in the club. And you still have a one-up on me, but you're also the age of my father. So give me a few years. ;) ha ha ha